Thursday 18 September 2008

Horizon


I came upon a throng of faces pointed at the sky
Many sets of plate sized eyes staring way up high,
I had to take a few steps back to understand their dread
The hospital looked back at us, a girl perched upon its' head,
A tiny, simple, plain white gown were all the clothes she wore
Her dark hair, teased by silent breeze, reached nearly to the floor,
Tiny arms hung by her side masked by the strangest things
They looked to me, for all the world, to be two cardboard wings,
I looked around and saw some people on their mobile phones
Some others now were running round but I had turned to stone,
I waited and no words would come, not even just a token,
I just couldn't bear to watch her fall and see her body broken,
Panicked calls hung in the air but didn't reach her ears
That heavy air was syrup thick with everybody's fears,
She stood there looking down on us, a poker players' face
The hospital beneath her feet, above her only space,
Please God don't jump, don't take your step, my arms could never hold you
Just come back down, take off your wings and nobody will scold you,
I catch my breath as all at once she's one with gravity
She's falling, falling, falling fast, she's falling right towards me,
Without a thought my arms shoot out and I look into her eyes
Bright and calm they look right back as she's falling from the skies,
I'll be so very good from here on in if her life can continue
I brace myself, my muscles tighten, I stretch my every sinew,
Looking up, I steel myself expecting a disaster
There is no sound, nobody blinks, she's falling ever faster,
Then it happened, I can't explain, her cardboard wings stretched out
And off she soared into the dusk and glided softly south,
Her tiny, simple, plain white gown fluttered in the breeze
Her long dark hair just like a cape followed past her knees,
She did not speak, made not a sound, just flew towards the horizon
She was the only thing, for oh so long, that we could keep our eyes on,
Then she was gone and I looked down, to see my arms before me,
Waiting still to catch the girl who had glided out to sea.

No comments: